Jan 12, 2021

The deafening silence of Warren Ellis.

 I’ve mostly stopped reading Warren Ellis’ blog.

Ellis though the man who has generated some of the more interesting work in comics over the last decade has since hit a bit of a dry spell.

Well, maybe I should qualify that because as far as I’m concerned the work he’s turned out of late has been a bit pedestrian at best. I guess that’s part of the problem with hitting one out of the park every now and again, people expect you to hit a home run each and every time you’re at the plate.

The other thing I’ve grown unenamoured of, is that underlying Anglo-centric condescension sometimes permeating Ellis' worldview.

It’s been present on his blog as he speculates on the American political scene from an ocean away making determinations about a culture from the vantage point of an outsider. There have been a few times when Ellis has thrown down the gauntlet in recent years in regards to attitudes and views in the U.S...

I recently wrote about Ellis who has retreated from public view for the most part.

I still like Ellis and his work. I’ve read much of his comics work and have given his fiction a shot although when I have take the books out of the library I hadn’t gotten beyond the first few pages.

Here, I know I was commenting on the British tendency to snobbishly look down on the United States and it’s politics. There is this haughty underlying tone I sense every time I hear some Brit making an observation but the thing of it is these are people who are still very much into monarchy.

The things that the British like to appear condescending about the U.S. are also the very things they have yet to fix in their own society. If you think racism, antisemitism and Islamophobia are big in the states you fail to recognize the British cornered the market on those things long, long ago.

They just have the ability to talk about all those warty things in their society with a British accent which makes it sounds better than it really is.

People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones and any time a Brit wants to comment on the American experience they might well be better served looking a lot closer to home.

No comments: